[R-sig-ME] fitting beta and zero mixture model containing both nested and crossed random effects

Paul Johnson pcdjohn@on @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Jun 13 18:35:05 CEST 2018

Hi Meng,

Is it possible for you to model the raw data (the counts of alleles within each individual site/assay/etc) rather than the calculated allele frequency (= proportion*)? If you have access to this data it would simplify your model greatly. I guess the reason for having zeroes is that there were no copies of an allele in a subpopulation (site, etc), giving an estimated proportion of zero? If so, you need a model with a binomial distribution for the responses (e.g. cbind(n.minor.allele, n.major.allele)**, assuming two alleles), and you could have a beta distribution for the allele frequencies. Then the model will see zeroes as being drawn from a binomial distribution with a non-zero allele frequency. This is the Balding-Nichols model, which gives a natural way of gauging the strength of random effects via f, which is an analogue of Wright’s Fst (which measures correlation between alleles in a subpopulation relative to the total population):

p.sub ~ Beta(shape1 = (1 - f) / f * p, shape2 = (1 - f) / f * (1 - p))

…for 0 < f < 1. p is the mean allele frequency, p.sub are the subpopulation (site, assay, etc) allele frequencies.

And the distribution of the number of alleles in subpopulation i is:

n.minor.allele[i] ~ Binom(2n[i], p.sub[i])

...n[i] is the number of diploid individuals in subpopulation i.

Alternatively, I guess there’s nothing to stop you having normally distributed allele frequencies on the logit scale, in which case you could fit the model with glmer.

Best wishes,
Paul

*It’s a stats/population genetics language difference — for statisticians frequency means count, while for population geneticists an allele frequency is a proportion (I have a foot in each camp).
**Pooling alleles in this way, i.e. ignoring the individual level, assumes HWE. If you don’t want to do that you can treat a diploid individual as a level nested within site/assay/etc, and estimate an individual level f, which is analogous to Fis, the inbreeding coefficient.