[R-sig-ME] GLMM for proportions

Thierry Onkelinx thierry@onkelinx @ending from inbo@be
Wed Jun 6 16:24:15 CEST 2018

Dear Nicolas,

The cbind(success, failure) notation is used when we aggregate (sum)
the number of successes and failures. The data generating process
behind it, are a series of trials which result in either success or
failure. Hence their sum will be integer.

We need to know more about your data generating process in order to
give you sensible advice. Scaling the data by using different units is
wrong. Compare binom.test(c(1, 9)) and binom.test(c(1000, 9000)). Both
yield exactly the same proportion, but their confidence interval are
very different. Why? c(1000, 9000) is much more informative than c(1,
9).

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE
AND FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey