[R-sig-ME] GLMM for proportions

poulin poulin @ending from m@th@uni@tr@@fr
Wed Jun 6 16:13:05 CEST 2018

Dear list,

I have a question regarding GLMM's for proportion fitted with lme4.

Such models are fitted using the binomial family. When I fit such
models, I use, on the left side of the formula : cbind(success,failure).

Problem is when, for example, data are durations (duration of success
and duration of failure) that are not integer numbers if speaking in
seconds.
When fitting a GLM, one can use directly in the left part of the formula
a variable that is the proportion of success. When trying to do this for
a GLMM one will have the warning message : « In eval (family$initalize,
rho): non-integer # successes in a binomial glm! »
To avoid this, biologists I work sometimes with, used ms instead of s
for their duration times of success and failure but then the associated
tests are too powerfull...
I am not able to tell if the displayed warning message is of concern or
not.
So my question is : do you think it is better to use ms instead of s or
directly the proportion?
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided
Best regards

--
Nicolas Poulin
Ingénieur de Recherche