[R-sig-ME] GLMM power analysis

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:33:57 CET 2018

  This is typically done by simulation.  Googling "glmm power
simulation" gives a lot of useful hits.  There are R packages:

library(sos)
sos::findFn("{power analysis} mixed simulation")

turns up the fullfact, pamm, simr, simglm packages ... or you can write
it yourself (the simulate() method.

There are a variety of publications on this subject, too:

Johnson, Paul C. D., Sarah J. E. Barry, Heather M. Ferguson, and Pie
Müller. “Power Analysis for Generalized Linear Mixed Models in Ecology
and Evolution.” Methods in Ecology and Evolution 6, no. 2 (February 1,
2015): 133–42. https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.12306.

Kain, Morgan P., Ben M. Bolker, and Michael W. McCoy. “A Practical Guide
and Power Analysis for GLMMs: Detecting among Treatment Variation in
Random Effects.” PeerJ 3 (September 17, 2015): e1226.
https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.1226.

 working on updating the GLMM FAQ ...