[R-sig-ME] Specifying a (random effect for an) interaction among two level 1 variables?

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Wed Feb 21 09:54:39 CET 2018

Dear Emmanuel,

Four independent random effects is coded as (1|g) + (0 +x|g) + (0+y|g)
+ (0 + x:y|g). Your example still contains a covariance between the
random intercept and the random slope for x.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE
AND FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey