[R-sig-ME] How can I make R using more than 1 core (8 available) on a Ubuntu Rstudio server ?

Paul Johnson paul.johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 13:23:59 CET 2018

You can use anova(fit1, fit2) to compare nested models fitted using glmmTMB. However given that you have a large data set you might want to avoid refitting the model, in which case you could use a Wald z test (this ignores the residual df — i.e. assumes it’s infinite — but probably fine with big data). This test uses a restriction matrix to test the global null hypothesis that all the k-1 factor level effects are zero. In fact it can be used more flexibly than this, but mainly that’s how I use it: for getting p-values for factors and splines from models that would be slow to refit. Here’s some example code (which is probably not very general but works for me).

# Wald z-test function
# (adapted from http://stijnruiter.nl/blog/?p=309 - now a broken link)
# this Wald test method is dubious at low n because it doesn't take account of the
# degrees of freedom.
# (see Bolker et al. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, Volume 24, Issue 3, 127-135, 29 January 2009).
# 2017-07-02: adapted to take glmmTMB fits

Wald<-
  function(object, R, q = NULL, gmmTMB.model = "cond")
  {
    if (!is.matrix(R)) stop("Restrictions must be a matrix")
    if(is.null(q)) q <- rep(0, nrow(R))
    b <- fixef(object)
    if(class(b) == "fixef.glmmTMB") b <- b[[gmmTMB.model]]
    vc <- vcov(object)
    if("vcov.glmmTMB" %in% class(vc)) vc <- vc[[gmmTMB.model]]
    w <- t(R %*% b - q) %*% solve(R %*% vc %*% t(R)) %*% (R %*% b - q)
    pw <- pchisq(w[1], length(q), lower.tail = FALSE)
    cat("*************\n* Wald Test *\n*************\n")
    cat("lme4 fixed effects:\n")
    print(fixef(object))
    cat("\nRestrictions:\n")
    print(R)
    cat("\nq = ",q)
    cat("\nChi-square:", round(w[1],3), " df = ", length(q))
    cat("\nProb x>chisq:", round(pw, 5), "\n")
    pw
  }

library(glmmTMB)

# example from ?glmmTMB
data(cbpp, package="lme4")
(tmbm1 <- glmmTMB(cbind(incidence, size-incidence) ~ period + (1 | herd),
                  data=cbpp, family=binomial))

# LRT
anova(update(tmbm1, ~ . - period), tmbm1)

# Wald z test
# quick and dirty way to construct the R matrix
# (is there a way to extract this directly from the fitted model?)
eff.names <- names(fixef(tmbm1)$cond)
p.names <- grep("period", eff.names, value = TRUE, fixed = TRUE)
R <-
  t(sapply(p.names,
           function(en)
             grep(en, eff.names, value = TRUE, fixed = TRUE) == eff.names)) + 0

# p-value
Wald(tmbm1, R = R)