[R-sig-ME] How can I make R using more than 1 core (8 available) on a Ubuntu Rstudio server ?

Nicolas Bédère n.bedere at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 09:15:24 CET 2018

Dear glmmTMB users,

I have tried the solution proposed by Ben Bolker since our serveur is a
R-studio serveur, I could not try Julia.
It runs faster indeed, thanks ! I don't want to put on a scene an old
fight... but to publish in animal science we need P-values, whatever are
the good reasons for not getting some... our community is not ready yet !
with the lmer packages I used to get the global effects with Anova:car. The
glmmTMB objects are not supported by this function. Do you know any
solution to get the global effect of the factor instead of the effect of
each levels ?

Many thanks,

2018-01-21 0:24 GMT+01:00 Hans Ekbrand <hans.ekbrand at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 03:36:08PM -0500, Ben Bolker wrote:
> >   Explaining a little bit more; unlike a lot of informatics/machine
> > learning procedures, the algorithm underlying lme4 is not naturally
> > parallelizable. There are components that *could* be done in parallel,
> > but it's not simple.
> >
> >   If you need faster computation, you could either try Doug's
> > MixedModels.jl package for Julia, or the glmmTMB package (on CRAN),
> > which may scale better than glmer for problems with large numbers of
> > fixed-effect parameters (although my guess is that it's close to a tie
> > for the problem specs you quote below, unless your fixed effects are
> > factors with several levels).
> I'm currently analysing a few huge datasets and in one of the cases
> the outcome was binary (in the other cases, the outcome was count data
> so I used negative binomial in glmmTMB), so I tried both glmer and
> glmmTMB and glmmTMB was faster. My model included about 11 fixed
> effects without interactions and three random intercept terms.
> However, I had problem getting a clean convergence when I tried to fit
> the model to the complete dataset, both with glmer and glmmTMB, and
> what I did might help Nicolas Bédère too. I think the convergence
> problems in my case was related to the fact that the outcome was very
> rare, only 11.221 cases had the outcome (death), while 5.674.928
> didn't have the outcome (the were alive).
> Anyway, I divided the dataset into 8 bins, and fitted the same model
> to each dataset, and since I had a 4 core CPU, 4 datasets could be
> independently fitted in parallel. Then I took the estimates and
> applied Rubin's Rule on them, to get pooled results.
> (In my particular case, I left all 11.221 positive cases in each of
> the 8 datasets, while each negative case only appeared in one of the 8
> datasets.)
> I consider what I did as a kind of poor-man's-bootstrapping, but I
> would like to have some feedback on the valididity of results one gets
> with the method I used. If it is valid, then it is one way of
> parallelising glmer.
> --
> Hans Ekbrand, Fil Dr
> Epost/email: <hans.ekbrand at gu.se>
> Telefon/phone: +46-31 786 47 73
> Institutionen för sociologi och arbetsvetenskap, Göteborgs universitet
> Department of sociology and work science, Gothenburg university
> _______________________________________________
> R-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-mixed-models

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

More information about the R-sig-mixed-models mailing list