[R-sig-ME] What is the default covariance structure in the glmmPQL function (MASS package)?

Voeten, C.C. c.c.voeten at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Feb 4 10:15:07 CET 2018

Hi Gerda,

Since glmmPQL works by repeated calls to lme, it should work the same as lme does, i.e. the default random-effects parameterization is log-Cholesky with an unstructured covariance matrix. Specifying other covariance structures should work the same as in lme, e.g. random=list(grouping=pdDiag(~covariates)) for diagonal; see ?pdClasses.

Good luck,
Cesko