[R-sig-ME] ICC for glmer Poisson

Paul Johnson paul.johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Feb 2 23:46:04 CET 2018

Hi,

Have a look at

Nakagawa, Shinichi, and Holger Schielzeth. 2010. “Repeatability for Gaussian and Non-Gaussian Data: A Practical Guide for Biologists.” Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 85 (4): 935–56. doi:10.1111/j.1469-185X.2010.00141.x.
dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-185X.2010.00141.x

and the related rptR package:

Stoffel, M., Nakagawa, S. & Schielzeth, H. (2017) rptR: Repeatability estimation and variance decomposition by generalized linear mixed-effects models.. Methods Ecol Evol. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/2041-210X.12797

There are various ways to get CIs for variances, the easiest is applying confint() to a glmer fit (in fact I think this gives CIs for the SDs). For getting confidence (credible) intervals from variance estimates though I think MCMC (e.g. MCMCglmm) works best.
For testing random effects, see:
http://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#testing-significance-of-random-effects

Good luck,
Paul