[R-sig-ME] glmmPQL: random effects

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:01:21 CET 2018

  This is a good question - surprised I haven't seen it before.

  The general answer to your question is that people don't generally
worry about REML vs ML for generalized mixed models:

http://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#reml-for-glmms

  The proximal answer is that glmmPQL is a hybrid between lme and glm.
When you specify a method= argument, glmmPQL tries to pass it to the glm
function, which is expecting a function name. (i.e., "don't do this, it
doesn't work")