[R-sig-ME] glmmPQL: random effects

Cueva, Jorge jorge.cueva at tum.de
Thu Jan 25 15:09:33 CET 2018

Hello everyone,

I am working with glmmPQL because have data count (richness and number of individuals), in both cases have mean >5 and overdispersion. The literature says is necessary to distinct between ML (for random effects) and REML (fixed effects), but I got one error even with the nlme package active:

Error in ML(x = c(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,  :
  could not find function "ML"

I am using:

glmmPQL(Spp~1+Cattle+Equine+Mth.Prec,random = list(~1|Formation,~1|Cluster),data = VariabRLplot, family = "quasipoisson", method="ML")

If I not use  --method="ML"--   the model runs without warnings

The questions are:

  1.  Can I distinct between "ML" and "REML" using glmmPQL? Or I must use some function like lme or lmer and later pass to glmmPQL
  2.  By other hand, with the random effects, "Cluster" is nested in "Formation", the syntax should be right, but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks so much

Jorge Cueva Ortiz
Ing. Forestal
ECU: 0993085161