[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models in a very basic replication design

Peter Claussen dakotajudo at mac.com
Mon Dec 18 18:31:26 CET 2017

Tim,

This is more a question of experimental design, but I can answer a bit relevant to mixed models.

In a greenhouse, environmental variation should be negligible and can typically be ignored. In some cases, the variance is so small that it results in a negative estimate from ANOVA. This is most apparent when you have a Location F-ratio less than 1. Briefly, the F-ratio is calculated with an error variance in the denominator, and that same variance plus another source of variance in the numerator, i.e. (EMS + t*Location MS)/EMS. If the ratio is less than 1, then Location MS must be negative.

If this occurs, and you fit the model using lmer and formula  = ~ Treatment A * Treatment B * Time + (1|Location) , you would expect the estimate of Location to be 0, since it would be constrained to be non-negative. If that happens, you can drop location from the model an fit as a CRD using the three-way ANOVA.

However, you also include time in the model. Is this a repeated measures design? If so, then you might want to fit to a mixed model with Pot (or equivalent) as a random effect.

Cheers,

Peter Claussen
Biometrician
Gylling Data Management, Inc.