[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models in a very basic replication design

Tim Richter-Heitmann trichter at uni-bremen.de
Mon Dec 18 16:55:22 CET 2017

Dear Group,

i am to plan a very basic factorial greenhouse experiment, and this time
i will first ask for statistical advise before execution :).

It will encompass two treatment types with two levels each, two sampling
dates with five replicates each, resulting in 2 x 2 x 2 x 5 = 40 samples.

I guess, this is a basic three way ANOVA (~ Treatment A * Treatment B *
Time). However, the arrangement of the replicates in the greenhouse will
be randomized. I have only a limited understanding of mixed models,
obviously, but does the randomized location of the plant also requires
the introduction of a random effect (~ Treatment A * Treatment B * Time
+ (1|Location)?. How do i best code location in this case?

Thank you!

--
Tim Richter-Heitmann

University of Bremen
Microbial Ecophysiology Group (AG Friedrich)
FB02 - Biologie/Chemie
Leobener Straße (NW2 A2130)
D-28359 Bremen
Tel.: 0049(0)421 218-63062