[R-sig-ME] glmmADMB errors

Mollie Brooks mollieebrooks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:10:19 CEST 2017

Sorry, I didn't see in your email that you had tried the Gamma distribution
in glmmADMB.

The cause of the error may have been the nesting of the random effect. In
my opinion, the nesting notation causes confusion quite often and it's best
to just give each of the 8 locations (i.e. RE levels) a unique name. If, on
the other hand, there are only 4 unique locations and both treatments are
in the same location, then location should be a fixed effect because 4
levels is too few for a random effect.

If you're fitting a zero-inflated model, you might have better luck with
convergence if you allow the zero-inflation to vary with parameters.

I would try these models if there are 8 uniquely coded locations
m1 <- glmmTMB(Biomass ~ Protection * Exposure +(1|Location),
data=dataGLMMADMB, family=Gamma(link="log"))

m2 <- glmmTMB(Biomass ~ Protection * Exposure +(1|Location),
zi =~ Protection * Exposure,
data=dataGLMMADMB, family=Gamma(link="log"))