[R-sig-ME] GAMM4 error

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 21:36:19 CEST 2017

  We'd love to help, but it's really, really hard without a reproducible
example.  All the error message really tells us is that somewhere in the
guts there was something like a divide-by-zero error or an infinity
produced (because your data were weird, or because some value got really
small or really large and under/overflowed).

  A reproducible example would be ideal (see e.g.
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example>
), but in its absence, `summary(mydata)` or `str(mydata)` would be
useful.  For example:

- is y a 0/1 variable?
- are all of your x variables numeric, and not super-large in magnitude?
- do you have NA values in your data?
- how many distinct values (levels) of pupil and neigh do you have?
- how many observations overall?