[R-sig-ME] ERPs lme covariates

Phillip Alday phillip.alday at mpi.nl
Wed Aug 9 17:14:30 CEST 2017

Yes, this is one of the advantages of using mixed-effects models
compared to classical rmANOVA. But there are all sorts of subtle issues
with controlling co-variates:

http://www.johnmyleswhite.com/notebook/2016/02/25/a-variant-on-statistically-controlling-for-confounding-constructs-is-harder-than-you-think/
(and make sure to read the Westfall and Yarkoni paper linked there)

http://www.johnmyleswhite.com/notebook/2017/04/06/covariate-based-diagnostics-for-randomized-experiments-are-often-misleading/

although I do recommend including these covariates in general and
especially in psycholinguistic studies: https://arxiv.org/abs/1602.04565

Note, however, that lme is in the nlme package, while lmer is the
corresponding function from lme4. See
https://stats.stackexchange.com/q/5344/26743 for a comparison.

Phillip