[R-sig-ME] p-values glmer in lme4

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 19 21:58:05 CEST 2017

Hi Ben,

I'm glad that you chimed in on this question.

Of course, what you say about (virtually) all the p-values being approximations is correct. My own preference would be to use "t-value" when you look up a p-value (approximate or not) for a Wald statistic in a t-distribution and "z-value" when you look up (an asymptotic approximation to) a p-value in the standard-normal distribution. Frankly, however, this seems a bit like splitting hairs, and so I think that what you do now is fine.

Best,
 John