[R-sig-ME] Question on random effect

Anthony R. Ives arives at wisc.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:07:26 CEST 2017

I find that the easiest way to think about this is in terms of the covariance matrix of the residuals. For LMMs, the random effects (which themselves are independent) produce block-diagonal covariance matrices, with positive covariances among residuals within the same level of a random effect. Phylogenetic relationships will also produce positive off-diagonal elements in the covariance matrix. Focusing on the structure of the covariance matrix of residuals often gives the clearest picture of the overall assumptions of a model.

Cheers, Tony