[R-sig-ME] [R] understanding I() in lmer formula

Emmanuel Curis emmanuel.curis at parisdescartes.fr
Thu Jun 15 18:02:57 CEST 2017

Replies in the text. Please read about maximum likelihood methods, the
objective function is the likelihood of the data, and write it down
will give you what you want. In practice, it might be slightly
different if you used restricted maximum likelihood (REML) instead of
maximum likelihood (ML), but that does not change the interpretation
of the different models and outputs, just the objective function.