[R-sig-ME] Animal model residual value

Walid walidmawass10 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 16:05:40 CEST 2017

Thank you for you response,

I am trying to study plastic phenotypic response of life-history trait
in a human population, age at first reproduction,  through historical
data, so I cannot use experimental design. I have two variables which
are proxies of resource availability, a climactic variable and a
demographic variable. The major problem that I don't seem to find an
answer to is that since my trait is non-labile then it would be
difficult to study its plasticity since there is no repeatability within
the individual. One solution was to try to use the breeding values
already obtained for this trait instead of the phenotypic values and
check their distribution along the environmental gradient.

I won't prolong this, since this list is mostly about mixed models, I
only wanted to see that if I explicitly include the environmental
variable in my model, can I interpret the residual variance I estimate
as capturing some of the phenotypic plasticity from this variable.

Thank you again,

--
Walid Mawass
Maitrise en Biologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire