[R-sig-ME] Visualizing three-way interaction

Houslay, Tom T.Houslay at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Apr 13 11:03:13 CEST 2017

Hi Klemens,

You probably have all the answers you need now, but just in case they are at all useful then I have a little series of posts on my website about visualising 3-way interactions using various methods:

2 continuous, 1 categorical:
https://tomhouslay.com/2015/06/02/understanding-3-way-interactions-between-continuous-and-categorical-variables-part-ii-2-cats-1-con/

1 continuous, 2 categorical:
https://tomhouslay.com/2014/09/06/understanding-3-way-interactions-between-continuous-and-categorical-variables-small-multiples/

3 continuous:
https://tomhouslay.com/2014/03/21/understanding-3-way-interactions-between-continuous-variables/

Some of these are a little old and don't take advantage of better functions in R (that didn't exist or I was unaware of at the time!), but might be helpful for ideas on different ways of plotting things. These are generally using standard regression models, but predict/broom etc can be used to average over random effects (eg using 're.form = NA' in the predict.merMod function).

Good luck with your plots!

Cheers

Tom