[R-sig-ME] modeling question

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 20:17:43 CET 2017

On 17-01-26 02:11 PM, Joaquín Aldabe wrote:
> Thanks Ben, I sent all emails to the whole list. See below (in caps lock
> for differentiating from the other text). Regards, Joaquin

> <mailto:bbolker at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Joaquín Aldabe
>     <joaquin.aldabe at gmail.com <mailto:joaquin.aldabe at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Dear Ben, it's me again
>

>     (I don't mind if you cc: me, but this is really a question to the
>     list. Probably better to frame it as "I sent this to the list and Ben
>     Bolker said ...")
>
>     > with this subject about invertebrate biomass and its
>     > possible effect on shorebird density. I have a couple of extra doubts about
>     > your recommendations:
>

>     >
>     > You suggested this:
>     >
>     > (1) The relationship between bird density and invert biomass, as well
>     > as the intercept (i.e., expected bird density at invert_biomass=0, or
>     > better invert_biomass=<some sensible reference quantity>).
>     >
>     > I tried a quantity considering the lowest value of the invertebrate biomass
>     > variable, but the model did not converge. So I wonder if I should pick this
>     > value or a different one?
>
>     Hmm, is this with lme or lmer?  Can you give more detail?  If it's
>     lmer, it's quite likely a false positive. I USED LME. I DON'T REALLY
>     KNOW WHAT DO YOU EXACTLY MEAN WITH SENSIBLE REFERENCE QUANTITY. I
>     THOUGHT IT WAS THE MINIMUM VALUE OF MY X VARIABLE (AS CERO IS NOT A
>     POSSIBILITY).

  The minimum value of your x variable is sensible.  The mean or median
would also be sensible.  It will change the interpretation of your
intercept parameter, and might improve convergence, but if the model
does converge then it won't change the overall fit of the model.

  If you're using lme and re-locating your x variable (i.e. using
I(invert_biomass-ref_value)) doesn't help with convergence, then there
might be something else wrong. We need more information (what was the
error message?  What are the general properties of your data?) and
preferably a reproducible example ...