[R-sig-ME] "varFunc" classes

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:34:28 CET 2016

  That Simmonds and Higgins's example uses a numeric treatment (0/1)
variable is what makes this work.  If you have a categorical treatment
variable, if it's binary you should turn it into a numeric dummy
variable (you can use dummy() as shown in one of my earlier examples);
if it has >2 categories, this is going to be a little tricky. It makes
perfect sense that you want to allow for variation in the intercept
(baseline) among studies, but I don't quite know why S&H made the main
effect of study a fixed effect, which makes all of this harder ... ?

  Ben Bolker

On 16-12-15 12:39 PM, dan jackson wrote:
> [...]
> a practical and a conceptual point of view.  Is there a reason that
> you're using
>
> OUT ~ factor(study)+treat, data = DD, random = ~ treat-1|study
>
> and not
>
> OUT ~ treat, data=DD, random= ~treat|study
>
> or
>
> OUT ~ treat, data=DD, random=~1|study/treat
>
> ?  The latter estimates the variation of treatments within studies as
> compound symmetric, which is a little bit easier computationally.
>

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Dan Jackson
> <dan.jackson at mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Thanks to everyone for their help, Ben and Wolfgang in particular.
>> I managed to get some results for a toy-warm up example using
>>
>> fm10 <- lme(OUT ~ factor(study)+treat, data = DD, random = ~
>> treat-1|study,weights=varIdent(form = ~ 1 |
>> treat-1|study),control=list(maxIter = 500, msMaxIter = 500))
>>
>> here DD is a dataframe containing simulated data: 10,000 rows of
>> OUT ("outcome", just normally distributed data) treat (0/1 with
>> probability 0.5 for "success") and study contains the study number
>>  from 1 to 10, 1 for the first 1000 observations, 2 for the second
>> 1000 and so on. For fun I made the first and last groups have
>> larger variances to see if varIndent would pick this up -- which it
>> clearly did which is wonderful.
>>
>> I would not have gotten this far without your help Ben and Wolfgang
>> in particular. My only slight residual (no pun intended?!) concern
>> is that I seem to be getting some O's for DOF for the which is a
>> bit perplexing (for the the factor(study) s in the model). I have
>> done some googling and this DOF issue seems to be a special issue
>> in its own right. Since I am happy to use normal approximations I
>> can get my inferences but this is something that might be worth
>> thinking about, DOF=0 would appear to be just plain wrong to me!?!
>>
>> I am confident I will be able to fit this type of model to my real
>>  data in the new year. Thanks all, Merry Christmas, Dan
>>

>> On 14/12/2016 19:02, Ben Bolker wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm too lazy to see if anyone has answered this one already, so

>>> It has been implemented in R, but in the nlme package rather than
>>>  the lme4 package (which contains lmer and glmer).
>>>
>>> Historical note: nlme is the package associated with Pinheiro and
>>>  Bates's 2000 book. R's first "stable beta" version (according
>>> to Wikipedia) was released in 2000.  Doug Bates has been involved
>>> in R since the beginning (or almost?).
>>>
>>> If you need to do this in lme4::lmer, you can do it in a sort of
>>>  clunky way by setting up dummy variables for group differences
>>> and adding an individual-level random effect, e.g.
>>>

>>> data(Orthodont,package="nlme")
>>>
>>> O2 <- transform(Orthodont, obs=seq(nrow(Orthodont))) ##
>>> observation-level variance
>>>

>>> ## since Female var < Male var, we have to use a dummy for Male
>>> ## to add extra variance for males (won't work the other way
>>> because ## we can't have a negative variance)
>>>
>>> m1 <-lmer(distance ~ age + (age|Subject) +
>>> control=lmerControl(check.nobs.vs.nlev="ignore",