[R-sig-ME] "varFunc" classes

Dan Jackson dan.jackson at mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 12:42:44 CET 2016

Thanks to everyone for their help, Ben and Wolfgang in particular. I
managed to get some results for a toy-warm up example using

fm10 <- lme(OUT ~ factor(study)+treat, data = DD, random = ~
treat-1|study,weights=varIdent(form = ~ 1 | study),control=list(maxIter
= 500, msMaxIter = 500))

here DD is a dataframe containing simulated data: 10,000 rows of OUT
("outcome", just normally distributed data) treat (0/1 with probability
0.5 for "success") and study contains the study number from 1 to 10, 1
for the first 1000 observations, 2 for the second 1000 and so on. For
fun I made the first and last groups have larger variances to see if
varIndent would pick this up -- which it clearly did which is wonderful.

I would not have gotten this far without your help Ben and Wolfgang in
particular. My only slight residual (no pun intended?!) concern is that
I seem to be getting some O's for DOF for the which is a bit perplexing
(for the the factor(study) s in the model). I have done some googling
and this DOF issue seems to be a special issue in its own right. Since I
am happy to use normal approximations I can get my inferences but this
is something that might be worth thinking about, DOF=0 would appear to
be just plain wrong to me!?!

I am confident I will be able to fit this type of model to my real data
in the new year. Thanks all, Merry Christmas, Dan