[R-sig-ME] "varFunc" classes

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Dec 13 10:17:40 CET 2016

Hi Dan (nice to see you on this list),

Pinheiro and Bates (2000) covers the nlme package, which was ported to R. So, the book is just as much about S/S-Plus as it is about R.

If you are fitting linear mixed-effects models, then you can do that with the lme() function from nlme or the lmer() function from lme4 (and various other packages). Only lme() supports the various varFunc classes, so you should use that.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD