[R-sig-ME] Using individual differences from model A as predictor in model B

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Fri Dec 2 13:23:23 CET 2016

Dear Koen,

I think you can fit this in a single model. Here a a few options:

with lme4:
Adherence ~ BeforeAfter * Treatment + (1 + BeforeAfter|Participant)
Adherence ~ BeforeAfter * Treatment + (1| Participant:BeforeAfter)

with INLA:
Adherence ~ BeforeAfter * Treatment + f(Time, model = "rw1", replicate =
Participant)

The BeforeAfter:Treatment interaction is the effect you are interested in.
The lme4 random effect allow for an additional treatment effect for
individual participants. The INLA random effect allows for correlated
random intercept along Time for the individual participant. rw1 stands for
random walk of order 1, which models the differences between consecutive
time points.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest