[R-sig-ME] Time-varying random effects

Marc Jacobs marc.jacobs012 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 08:05:12 CET 2016

Hi all,

thnx tor the replies but in the answers I have not found what I was looking
for.

The pigs are separated from their litter in the nursery phase being placed
in pens based on a blocking factor (Bodyweight). This happens again in the
growth-finish fase. Thus yes, they are moved around at least two times, all
of them.

Hence, although the genetic similarity remains across the entire study
(pigs nested in sows), there are crossed effects with blocks, rooms, and
pen, because it changes. Since pigs are social animals, the pen effect
should matter and hence should be taken into account. The Blocking effect
speaks for itself I think.

Normally, this data set would be analyzed three times - once for the
farrowing phase, once for the nursery phase, and once for the growth finish
fase. This way, you have no time-varying RANDOM effects, but I want to
model the entire growth curve, whilst taking into account random factors
that change over time.

Thank you,

Marc