[R-sig-ME] Generalized Linerar Model vs Logistic regression

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 01:12:01 CET 2016

  (Please keep r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org in the Cc: list ...)

On 16-11-22 06:57 PM, Cleber Iack wrote:
> Thank you very much for the return.
>
> Yes, school is a categorical predictor with 4 levels and Posto is
> categorical with 5 levels
>
> I have 16000 individuals, being that predictive variables are in media
> with 5 longitudinal observations for individual. I have 76000 lines.
> This base would be enough?  I apologize for not having understood very well.

  That sounds like enough provided that the response is not extremely
rare or extremely common.  With this kind of design you do have to be a
little bit careful with another aspect, which is that the Laplace
approximation may be a bit questionable in this case (low effective
sample size *per cluster*) - it would be a good idea, if you can, to
bump up the value of the nAGQ argument to, say, nAGQ=10 (the fit will be
slower, and this won't work if you have complex random effect structures).

> The intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) what I mean would be to
> assess how much of the total variance of the population is explained by
> the difference between schools.
>
> Each one of my schools have a very different identity, but I thought of
> a test in order to be able to demonstrate to an audience in a
> presentation for example.

  I personally wouldn't need any convincing that you should be using a
mixed model in this case.  Quoting the ICC along with its confidence
interval would be useful if the among-individual variability is actually
of practical interest.  Other significance tests are available, as I
suggested in my previous message.