[R-sig-ME] Mixed Models convergence problems, Jordi Rosich

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Tue Nov 15 06:19:08 CET 2016

Hi Jordi,

Without really knowing anything about your data (or more generally
types of data common to your field) ....

- Your model doesn't seem exceptionally complex -- just main effects
and a single scalar (intercept-only) random effect. Of course, a simple
model can still be "too" complex if you don't have much data.

- However, it sometimes makes sense to use a more complicated model
when you have convergence issues on a simple model -- sometimes, you
really do need covariates to get any type of decent fit. (Based on your
email, you may have already  experienced this.)

- Categorical variables are particularly 'nasty' when it comes to the
number of model parameters as a categorical variable with n levels
requires n-1 parameters in the model! Continuous variables only require
1 parameter apiece (correlation parameters in the random effects
excepted).

- Watch out for multicollinearity -- how strongly do tree height and
tree width correlate with each other?

- Your particular convergence warning often means that the optimiser
was still moving along towards convergence / the solution when
optimisation was stoppe. Sometimes this can be helped by just
increasing the number of iterations that the optimiser is allowed to
take, although this will increase computer time.

- Make sure to check out the help page: ?convergence (after loading
lme4) has many tips and tricks.

Best,
Phillip