[R-sig-ME] parsimonious mixed models

Phillip Alday Phillip.Alday at unisa.edu.au
Thu Nov 10 13:23:52 CET 2016

Having an interaction without the corresponding main effect is a bit unusual, but not unheard of ... in your case though, I would remove the interactions and take look at the new random-effects estimates. I suspect you'll see that more variance is now explained by the main effects.

I also suspect that your variables aren't quite coded right -- cSenttype is probably categorical, is it not? Yet it's estimate in the random-effects structure is that of a continuous variable (single estimate) and not a factor (set of estimates for different levels / contrasts).

Best,
Phillip