[R-sig-ME] Poisson or Gaussian when modelling count data + heteroscedasticity in predictor variables

Tom Wilding Tom.Wilding at sams.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 16:56:43 CET 2016

Hi Luciana - if your count data is large (not 'near' zero) then the normal model might be fine and you could then account for heteroscedasticity using GLS (as you seem to have done) - if the model diagnostics check-out then it should be OK.  You could log or log+1 transform your response and see how that looks too, just for interest (if you have zeros then this approach is not likely to be successful).  Also, you could stick with the Poisson GLMM and include an individual observation level term (Elston, D. A., et al. (2001). "Analysis of aggregation, a worked example: numbers of ticks on red grouse chicks." Parasitology 122(05): 563-569), - this should also be reasonable (and is very easy to implement) and might be of interest (though may have its detractors).  Your negative binomial solution should also address the over-dispersion issue though I'm less sure what the residual patterns should look like (you could fake-up some data to check these).

Best

Tom.