[R-sig-ME] Managing person identifier variable

MACDOUGALL Margaret Margaret.MacDougall at ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 20:59:30 CEST 2016

Hello

I would be most grateful for some advice in relation to the interpretation of a person identifier variable (persID, say),  in R. I would like to represent persons, as an independent variable, by a random effect. However, there are over 200 such persons. Each person is allocated a random numerical code as a unique identifier.  Currently, R is reading the identifier variable as a numeric variable. Is there a quick way of addressing this problem by recoding the variable?  (I do not wish to bin the values into category ranges; rather, I wish to avoid the numerical codes being interpreted literally.)

Many thanks

Margaret