[R-sig-ME] How to fix individual elements of the residual covariance matrix in MCMCglmm (r_1470)

claudia.kasper at iee.unibe.ch claudia.kasper at iee.unibe.ch
Sun Jun 26 11:59:51 CEST 2016

Dear Richard,

to fix the variance for the residual (co)variance matrix you could group the traits in a way that first you have those that should not be fixed and then those that should be fixed. For example, in a trivariate model I used fix=2 so that in a 3x3 (co)variance matrix cells nr 5,6,8,9 (numbered row-wise) are fixed. Hence, the variances of the second and third trait are fixed and their covariances whereas the other parameters are estimated. It is explained in "MCMC Methods for Multi-response Generalized Linear Mixed Models: The MCMCglmm R Package" by Jarrod Hadfield on page 9.

Best wishes,

Claudia Kasper
Institute for Ecology and Evolution
University of Bern