[R-sig-ME] Related fixed and random factors and planned comparisons in a 2x2 design

Houslay, Tom T.Houslay at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 21:51:26 CEST 2016

Hi Paul,

I think you're right here in that actually you don't want to nest channel inside participant (which led to that error message - sorry, should have seen that coming!).

It's hard to know without seeing data plotted, but my guess from your email is that you probably see some clustering both at individual level and at channel level? Perhaps separate random effects, ie (1|Participant) + (1|Channel), is the way to go (and then you shouldn't have the problem as regards number of observations - instead you'll have an intercept deviation for each of your N individuals, and also intercept deviations for each of your 9 channels). You certainly want to keep the participant intercept in though, as each individual gets both items (right?), so you need to model that association. You can use your variance components output from lmer to determine what proportion of the phenotypic variance (conditional on your fixed effects) is explained by each of these components, eg V(individual)/(V(individual) + V(channel) + V(residual) would give you the proportion explained by differences among individuals in their voltage. It would be cool to know if differences among individuals, or among channels, is driving the variation that you find. I think using the sjplot function for lmer would be useful to look at the levels of your random effects:

http://strengejacke.de/sjPlot/sjp.lmer/

As for 'contrasts', again I haven't used that particular package, but from a brief glance it looks like you're on the right track - binary coding is the 'simple coding' as set out here:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/r/library/contrast_coding.htm

Good luck!

Tom