[R-sig-ME] Orthogonal vs. Non-orthogonal contrasts

Yasuaki SHINOHARA y.shinohara at aoni.waseda.jp
Mon May 30 09:30:40 CEST 2016

Dear Thierry,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understood that the results of each main fixed factor (e.g., Factor
A, B, C and D) are pointless, since the interaction factors affected
the results of the main fixed factors. Actually, I manually coded the
contrasts for all the fixed factors based on the hypothesis I wanted
to test, as follows.

#Factor A (testing block)
PreVsMid<-c(1,-1,0)
PreVsPost<-c(-1,0,1)
contrasts(alldata$FactorA)<-cbind(PreVsMid,PreVsPost)
#Factor B (Trainer order)
IDVsDIS<-c(1,-1)
contrasts(alldata$FactorB)<-cbind(IDVsDIS)
#Factor C (Phonetic environment)
IniVsMid<-c(1,-1,0)
IniVsCls<-c(-1,0,1)
contrasts(alldata$FactorC)<-cbind(IniVsMid, IniVsCls)
#Factor D (Length of Experience, continuous variable)
alldata$FactorD<-as.numeric(alldata$FactorD)

What I really wanted to test is the interaction between Factor A and
Factor B. Factor A has the two contrasts (i.e., PreVsMid (1,-1,0),
PreVsPost(-1,0,1)), and Factor B has only one contrast (i.e., IDvsDIS
(-1,1)) since there are only two levels in the Factor B. I tested
whether there is a significant difference in the contrast of PreVsMid
between the two levels of Factor B (IDvsDIS). Therefore, I did not use
the dummy (simple effect) coding but used the effect coding.

As you suggested, I tried to figure out how to use the multcomp
package. I found that the glht function in the packages allows me to
test a variety of contrasts with a matrix. However, I felt that the
contrasts I coded above are maybe enough to test my hypothesis, and I
am wondering whether I should use the glht function for the contrasts.

Could you please let me know if there are any advantage of using the
glht function?

I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes,
Yasu