[R-sig-ME] Orthogonal vs. Non-orthogonal contrasts

Yasuaki SHINOHARA y.shinohara at aoni.waseda.jp
Thu May 26 06:31:40 CEST 2016

Dear Thierry,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I understood why. The interaction of blockPreVsMid:FactorD turned
significant in the model which contrasted the testing block factor as
PreVsMid and PreVsPost (i.e.,cbind(c(1,-1,0),c(-1,0,1))), although the
interaction was not significant in the model with the testing block
contrasted as PreVsMid and PreMidVsPost (i.e.,
cbind(c(1,-1,0),c(1,1,-2))).

Could I ask another question?
What is the difference in making a contrast of PreVsMid as c(1,-1,0)
and as c(0.5, -0.5, 0)?
It seems that the beta and SE are double if I code the contrasts with
(0.5, -0.5, 0). I hope it does not matter.

Also, I coded "contrasts(data$FactorA)<-cbind(c(1,-1,0),c(-1,0,1))" to
test the differences between the mean of level 1 vs. the mean of level
2 and between the mean of level 1 and the mean of level 3. Is this
correct? Some website says something different from what I understood
(e.g., the first Answer of
http://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/44527/contrast-for-hypothesis-test-in-r-lmer
).

My model includes both categorical and numeric variable, and all
categorical variables were coded manually.

Best wishes,
Yasu