[R-sig-ME] Advice for analysis of biological data - Mixed model or NESTED-Anova?

Evan Palmer-Young epalmery at cns.umass.edu
Wed May 25 21:58:14 CEST 2016

Dear Savani,
I think you are on the right track. If you use function nlme, you can get
your p-values straightaway.
With lme4, you have to employ another function (Likelihood ratio test on
full and reduced models, or Wald tests with Anova in car) to extract them:
see:
http://www.inside-r.org/packages/cran/lme4/docs/pvalues

For your model coding, make sure that the biggest group is listed FIRST.
So for you:
model2=lmer(logVolume ~ Group + (1|Animal_ID/Group ), data=data, REML =
FALSE)
Instead use
brainmodel<-nlme(logVolume ~ Group , random= ~Group/Animal_ID)
See some examples under "model specification" on this very helpful page:
http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq

Here are some nlme examples:
http://www.stat.ubc.ca/~lang/Stat527a/ex4.r

Good luck!