[R-sig-ME] Details control options for glmmADMB

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:54:19 CEST 2016

ADMB runs its optimization in 'phases' where a progressively larger
subset of the parameters are estimated (in earlier phases, some
parameters are fixed to default values).  If you look in the definition
(TPL) file

file.show(system.file("tpl","glmmadmb.tpl",package="glmmADMB"))

and search for 'phase' you'll see that different phases are used for the
overdispersion parameters, zero-inflation parameters, random effects
standard deviations, random effects correlations.

  That said, I haven't actually seen a context where I've actually
needed to use this feature -- often you could just turn off the relevant
part of the model (e.g. zero-inflation) rather than setting
the maximum phase to a smaller value.

For more about phases, the ADMB manuals are at

http://admb-project.org/documentation/manuals/admb-user-manuals

specifically, the current version is at

http://ftp.admb-project.org/admb-11.4/manuals/admb-11.4.1.pdf