[R-sig-ME] extract level 2 residuals of merMod from lme() and test for spatial autocorrelation.

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:30:12 CEST 2016

  Briefly (without spending too much time digging into the details), I
suspect the discrepancy between the variance of the residuals and the
reported residual variance may be that the residual is calculated
based on the *penalized* residual sum of squares ... ?  May be worth
taking a look at the formulas in the lme4 JSS paper (which is included
as a vignette in the package) to clarify/confirm.