[R-sig-ME] Comparing mixed models

Paul Debes paul.debes at utu.fi
Wed May 11 07:39:25 CEST 2016

Dear Jean-Philippe,

There are some papers that deal with the special case that the variance of
an experimental design random term becomes negative due to a negative
intraclass correlation. In old ANOVA models this could be detected as
negative variance (this term will earn head shaking...), whereas in mixed
models, where the design term is modeled at the random level, this is
often not detectable because the design term variance may just be fixed at
zero / converge to zero (if restrained to be positive). As a consequence,
it happens that people tend to remove design terms from their models
(because a zero variance random term clearly does not improve the model)
and make inferences about, let's say treatments, based on observational
rather than experimental units (that would only be represented by
including the experimental design term) and this can lead to unrepeatable
and overconfident inferences.

This problem cannot always be simply accounted for by leaving the random
design term with a zero variance in the model. For example asreml-R does
not account for zero-variance terms in F-tests (the denominator degrees of
freedom inflate to observational level numbers), not sure what happens in
lme4 / nlme models.

Here are some references about this very special topic that only covers
the issue of zero-variance design terms that may in fact be negative, and
how the experimental design can be accounted for at the residual level
(with the associated consequences on prediction ability) in alternative to
having zero-variance random terms:

Nelder, J. A. 1954. The interpretation of negative components of variance.
Biometrika 41:544-548.

Wang, C. S., B. S. Yandell, and J. J. Rutledge. 1992. The dilemma of
negative analysis of variance estimators of intraclass correlation.
Theoretical and Applied Genetics 85:79-88.

Pryseley, A., C. Tchonlafi, G. Verbeke, and G. Molenberghs. 2011.
Estimating negative variance components from Gaussian and non-Gaussian
data: A mixed models approach. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis
55:1071-1085.

I hope that is not too special case for your question, but I think it is a
very important case for making inferences that account for an experimental
design, i.e., when a non-significant random term should be left in the
model.

Best,
Paul

Paul V. Debes