[R-sig-ME] Species as both fixed and random effect

Paul Debes paul.debes at utu.fi
Tue May 10 12:42:42 CEST 2016

Hi Liliana,

If your interest is in differences in among-y variance among the seven
species, and you have single measurements for each combination of the
seven species by 10 samples (five per species and treatment?), then you
can do this at the residual (not the random) level by specifying different
variances for species. However, it would probably be better to have more
than 10 samples for each species. You can use the 'gls' function of the
nlme package to do this, or if you include random effects in addition,
'lme'.

I'm not sure about your experimental design, but if adequate and your
interest is in firstly Treatment effects, secondly Species effects, and
thirdly if the Treatment effects differ among Species, then you should do
this based on the Treatment by Species interaction. Making inferences
about differences in treatment effects among different groups in the
absence of formally tested interactions is an horribly often-made mistake
in many scientific fields:

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v14/n9/full/nn.2886.html

 From the information you provide, it does not make sense to me to specify
Species also as a random term. However, why are data from DIFFERENT
species considered to be not independent? I don't think including Species
as a random term would account for any non-independence among species.

I hope this helps,
Paul

On Tue, 10 May 2016 13:09:28 +0300, Liliana D'Alba Altamirano
<liliana.dalba at ugent.be> wrote:

> I have a question about the use of a factor as both fixed and random
> effect.  Specifically, I want to test the effects of an experimental
> treatment and the species from which the samples originate on the
> response variable "y".
>
> I have seven different species with about 10 samples from each.  On one
> hand I want to be able to make inferences about the differences in "y"
> between different species, but I also want to look at the variance among
> the values of "y" at different species (random). In addition, two
> separate reviewers have explicitly asked for species to be included as
> random effect to account for the non-independence among data from
> different species.
>

> So, my model looks like this:
>

> y ~ treatment + species + (1|species)
>

> The question is whether this is an example of statistical malpractice or
> it is correct to do it.
>
> I am aware of the discussion about this topic posted here:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2014q3/022365.html
>
> in which Thierry Onkelinx mentioned that it is ok to specify a factor as
> fixed and random effect but only when it is treated as continuous
> (fixed) variable.
>
> However, that did not fully answer my question and unlike Year (which
> can be used as continuous variable), it does not make sense to treat
> Species as continuous just so the model produce good estimates.
>

> Thank you, I appreciate your help.
>

> Liliana
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Paul V. Debes