[R-sig-ME] How can I know if I have enough data for a complex random slopes model?

Philip Harrison pharriso at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 21 17:46:13 CEST 2016

Hi David,

I would suggest using a heirarchical random regression model following
the Araya-Ajoy 2015 method:

Araya‐Ajoy, Yimen G., Kimberley J. Mathot, and Niels J.
Dingemanse. "An approach to estimate short‐term, long‐term
and reaction norm repeatability." Methods in Ecology and Evolution
6.12 (2015): 1462-1473.

By decomposing variance at various temporal scales (days, season,
years for example) you will be able to capture the consistency (in
slopes and intercepts) that occurs due to short term  between
individual differences in experience and long term consistency, ie
that which occurs likely as as a function of genetic or permenent
environmental effects. That way you eliminate the need to fit a
correlation structure, which may well be over-fitting. You probably
cant fit a variance weighting structure using this method as it is
based on lme4 not nlme, however if you transform your response that
will likely have the same effect.

In terms of power, precision and bias, if you fit the heirachical
model, you can use the power analysis package (MultiRR) , plug in your
design and generate estimates of power etc. It works for unbalanced
data too. You can also get a rough idea of power by looking at the
plots based on various sample sizes provided within the manuscripts.

If you run a single level random regression, you can run power
analyses based on your sample design, using power analysis packages
associated with thew following papers:

Martin, Julien GA, et al. "Measuring individual differences in
reaction norms in field and experimental studies: a power analysis of
random regression models." Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2.4
(2011): 362-374.

or alterantively:

van de Pol, M. (2012). Quantifying individual variation in reaction
norms: how study design affects the accuracy, precision and power of
random regression models. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 3(2),
268-280.

Cheers

Philip Harrison PhD
Post-Doc in Cooke and Power Labs