[R-sig-ME] Longitudinal covariation parameter estimate does not match average association over time

Ben Pelzer b.pelzer at maw.ru.nl
Fri Apr 8 12:04:30 CEST 2016

Hi Matthew,

Could this be the difference between a within and a between regression
effect?

What if you "group-center", i.e., calculate the subject means (Pmean)
over time for each of the 140 subjects and subtract these group-means
from your original P values so that the Pdev = P - Pmean and then try:

long <- lmer (N ~ Pdev + Pmean + (1 | ID), data = lip)

The parameter of Pdev could be positive and the one of Pmean negative,
showing that the (negative) within-subject effect of P differs from the
(positive) between-subject effect. This is e.g. discussed by Snijders
and Bosker, chapter 4.

Best, Ben.