[R-sig-ME] lme4 observation level effects with indicator

Tiffany Vidal tiffany.vidal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:02:08 CEST 2016

Hi Thierry,

Thank you for the reply. Would you be able to explain what the 0 does (I
have read the lme4 documentation, but it's not very clear to me), and why
you would use the (0+ PrePeriod|...) for the site x year interaction term
and not the other two random effects that should also vary by period? Would
that coding be more appropriate for the year.factor and Site random effects
too? Also, why does it work differently if I have a single factor column of
0s and 1s named 'period' and simply use (0+ period | Site:year.factor)?

Thank you again!
Tiffany