[R-sig-ME] Questions concerning glmmADMB and hurdle model

Amirouche Sadoun amirouche.sadoun at cerco.ups-tlse.fr
Wed Mar 30 11:46:35 CEST 2016

Dear Sir,

I'm currently a PhD student in cognitive neurosciences at the CerCo
laboratory, France.

I'm dealing with a problematic trying to analyze my data with the
glmmADMB function in R.
I thank you in advance for paying attention to my present problem
regarding the use of a Hurdle model with glmmADMB, because I didn't yet
found a solution, especially as I am new in using R.
I'm trying to analyze behavioral data containing a given number of
trials called ab. (Experimental design with repeated measures.  Fixed
effects: GROUP and DELAY; random effect: the id of the subjects).
(Please find the data attached).

The response variable is the number of AB responses related to the Total
number of trials.
In this data, many subjects had 0 values . This requires the use of a
Zero inflated or Hurdle model with glmmADMB function (), as it was
recommended to me.
I tried than to do the analysis with this function, even if it seems not
clear to me, but I get error messages, in addition to that I don't know
how to deal with both models after (with post hoc analysis).
Please, find the following lines of the R code and the error messages:

datab $ ID <-factor ($ datab ID)
mod1 <-glmmadmb (cbind (AB, Total-AB) ~ * DELAY GROUP + (1 | ID), data =
subset (datab, AB> 0), family = "truncnbinom1")
datab $ nz <- as.numeric (datab $ AB> 0)
mod2 <-glmmadmb (nz ~ * DELAY GROUP + (1 | ID), data = datab, family =
"binomial")

The error message: [1] NOTICE: Warning in eval (expr, envir, pen):
sd.est not defined for this family
[2] ERROR:
The maximizer function failed (could not find parameter file)
Troubleshooting steps include (1) run with
'Save.dir' set and inspect output files; (2) changes run parameters

I hope wholeheartedly find help

Please accept the assurance of my distinguished regards.

A. SADOUN

CerCo, UMR 5549

Pavillon Baudot

Toulouse 31052 FRANCE