[R-sig-ME] How to extend an existing linear mixed effects model using lme in R?

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Wed Mar 30 09:23:02 CEST 2016

Dear Urs,

What you can do is first get the predictions from m1 for dataset d and add
it as a variable to dataset d. Then fit a model on dataset d using the
prediction from m1 as an offset.

d$M1 <- predict(m1, newdata = d, level = 0)
m2 <- lme(y ~ offset(M1) + c, random = ~1|id, data = d)

or

d$M1 <- predict(m1, newdata = d, level = 1)
m2 <- lm(y ~ offset(M1) + c, data = d)

fitting m2 <- lme(y ~ a + b + c, random = ~1|id, data = d) will probably
give a better fit.

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx