[R-sig-ME] Distribution family for non-negative lower and upper bound values

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Sat Dec 26 00:30:31 CET 2015

1.       Yes, rescaling seems reasonable to me, though I would use the equations specified in the papers I cited rather than the one you described.

2.       The short answer is that x1 and x2 are respectively the minimum and maximum possible values your variable can take on. Note that I am talking about possible values, not observed values. This is because the beta distribution can be applied when your variable has both theoretical lower and upper bounds, such that all observations must fall in the closed interval [x1, x2]. This is why the beta distribution works well for data values that are proportions. If your data do not fall in the open interval (0, 1), then you rescale them do so before running the analysis, and subsequently back-transform parameter estimates, predictions, and other quantities of interest to the original scale of the data.

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.

Associate Director

Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)

Michigan State University