[R-sig-ME] Question to lme4: Higher Level Response

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:21:35 CET 2015

Elisabeth,

That sort of model is more easily accomplished with structural equation modeling software. Check out the references below.

Croon, M. A. (2007). Predicting group-level outcome variables from variables measured at the individual level: A latent variable multilevel model. Psychological Methods, 12(1), 45-57. doi:10.1037/1082-989X.12.1.45

Lüdtke, O., Marsh, H. W., Robitzsch, A., Trautwein, U., Asparouhov, T., & Muthén, B. (2008). The multilevel latent covariate model: A new, more reliable approach to group-level effects in contextual studies. Psychological Methods, 13(3), 203-229. doi:10.1037/a0012869

Marsh, H. W., Lüdtke, O., Nagengast, B., Trautwein, U., Morin, A. J. S., Abduljabbar, A. S., & Köller, O. (2012). Classroom climate and contextual effects: Conceptual and methodological issues in the evaluation of group-level effects. Educational Psychologist, 47(2), 106-124. doi:10.1080/00461520.2012.670488

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University