[R-sig-ME] zero-inflation in glmmADMB

Highland Statistics Ltd highstat at highstat.com
Wed Dec 2 20:24:52 CET 2015

> Hello,
>
> I am investigating impacts of forest fragmentation due to gas development
> on songbirds, and have run mixed effects models using lme4.  My response
> variables are species abundances (count data), fixed effects are landscape
> metrics (forest edge density, percent gas cover, percent forest cover), and
> random effects are year and survey point (repeated measures over an 8-yr
> period).
>
> However -- having recently realized that I need to better account for the
> high numbers of zeros in my count data, I decided to try zero-inflated
> poisson models in glmmADMB.
>
> (1) Although many of the species I'm looking at have high numbers of zeros,
> the results of my ordinary poisson models and zeroInflation=TRUE poisson
> models appear to be identical, which seems odd:
>
> *Ex.*:
> CERW.pois <- glmmadmb(CERW.50m ~ Edge.100m + pGAS.100m + pFOR.500m
> + (1|Year) + (1|Point), family="poisson")
>
> CERW.zipois <- glmmadmb(CERW.50m ~ Edge.100m + pGAS.100m + pFOR.500m
> + (1|Year) + (1|Point), zeroInflation=TRUE, family="poisson")
>
> Am I doing something wrong here, or is it common for outputs to look nearly
> identical, with or without zero-inflation?

I suggest that you write out the equations of both models. See where it
differs. Then stick in the estimated parameters, and especially focus on
the binary part. That will answer your question.

As to the second question...try using offset(Log(What Ever)) directly in
the formula...that should work. Note the log!

Alain

--
Dr. Alain F. Zuur

First author of:
1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).
7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).

Highland Statistics Ltd.
9 St Clair Wynd
UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh