[R-sig-ME] Time as both fixed and random term

shi_peijian shi_peijian at 163.com
Wed Nov 25 04:08:07 CET 2015

Dear all,

Could I additonally ask a question?
    fit1 <- Biomass ~ Treatment + Time + (1|Plot), where 'Time' is a continuous covariate
    fit2 <- Biomass ~ Treatment  + (1|Time/Plot), where 'Time' is a factor variable

    fit3 <- Biomass ~ Treatment + (1|Time), where 'Time' is also a factor variable

If AIC(fit3) is smaller than AIC(fit1) and AIC(fit2), can we choose fit3 rather than fit1?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Joe

--

Peijian (Joe)  Shi, Ph.D.

Research interests: forest ecology; theoretical ecology; thermal biology

Member of China Ornithological Society from 2005 up to the present

Bamboo Research Institute, Nanjing Forestry University, P.R. China

159 Longpan Road, Nanjing City, Jiangsu Province 210037

Office:  60817  Biotechnology Building

Tel:  +86 25 85427231

E-mail addresses:  peijianshi at gmail.com

                               shi_peijian at 163.com